prep: 10 minutes, cooking: 1 hour
- 2 sweet onions
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- fruity olive oil
- salt and pepper
- aluminum foil
- Heat grill or oven to approximately 300F.
- Slice your onions in half so that you separate the top from the bottom. The root end and the top end will keep the halves from falling apart when they get good and hot. Remove papery skins.
- Set each half in its own sheet of aluminum foil (you may need to double up on the foil if it's very thin). Sprinkle each onion with garlic, then drizzle with olive oil so that the onion is well coated.
- Finish your preparation by adding salt and pepper, and wrapping the onions well.
- Grill onions for about one hour or until they begin to brown on the outside edges and the centers are fork tender. If you're baking instead of grilling, you may want to broil the onions for a few moments to get some caramelization going on. You definitely want caramelization!
Serve hot, with a fork and knife and hopefully with a sprinkle of kosher salt.