Hi folks... It's me, the farmer's wife. This recipe was handed down to me from my mother. It is definitely our family's favorite way to eat Rhubarb!
French Rhubarb Pie
Stir the following together to make the pie filling:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced in 1/4 inch pieces (approximately 1/2 pound of rhubarb)
Put this ‘rhubarb pie filling’ into an unbaked *8 inch pie crust and sprinkle with the following pie topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
Mix pie topping together until crumbly then sprinkle it on top of pie filling.
To bake the pie:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 - 35 minutes.
Cool before cutting. It’s delicious slightly warm or chilled... Enjoy!
Easy to Handle Pie Crust
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teas. salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cold water