Cooking Beef (or Pork) Heart - See note below:
- Place the whole heart in a cooking pot.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add approximately 6 cups of water or till heart is half covered with water.
- Turn on high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to ‘simmer’ and put the lid on.
- Simmer for 4 or 5 hours.
- Check it occasionally to make sure the water has not cooked entirely away. (Make sure there is always at least an inch of water in the bottom. You may add extra water while cooking.)
- Turn the heart over part way through cooking, so both sides have been in the liquid.
- Remove the heart a half hour before serving and let it cool slightly till you can handle it.
- Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Thicken the broth still left in your cooking pot with a little corn starch or flour blended in a small amount of water. This makes an excellent gravy to serve with your heart.
- Add the heart slices back into the broth.
- Simmer for a couple minutes until the heart is good and hot.
Serve and enjoy!
Cooking Pork Heart:
Follow the same instructions to cook a Pork Heart except since the size of the pork heart is only half the size of a beef heart, you may reduce the cooking time by an hour. I cook several pork hearts at a time for our family of seven.
The Farmer's Wife